Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Things are fast and busy.

We have been busy here and I am a bit behind on my blogging.  So here goes.  These are our teachers from the workshop that was over three days ago.  This was taken just as they were leaving.  All are trying to smile and keep the tears back.  Staff is also in the picture.


This picture is of our fire pit with several of our Bed and Breakfast crew.  They have been here during the Chicago to Mackinac race.  We have seen lots of boats of all sizes with a few of them getting close enough to the Island to take pictures with good long lens.  We even watched the Coast Guard boat Mackinaw come through finishing up the race.  There were still lots of boats after the passage of the Mackinaw which signals the end of the official race.

We are making Hot Rock S'mores in this picture with our B&Bers.


Yesterday, a group of out B&Bers hiked around the Island.  I went with them and it was the first time I had done that in a long time.  On foot that is, as when I have had a chance to get out and around the Island it has been in a kayak.  While we had wet feet when we returned our new Beach path almost makes it to the other end of the Island making part of the trip much more enjoyable.  We have lots of rocks here and my feet feel them this morning.


We also spotted this broken egg on our walk through the village.  It looks like someone ate it rather then hatched out of it.


This is a picture of the lighthouse through the screen on my window.  I am sitting in my bed.  You can't beat that for a view.

But this morning we are surrounded in fog.  We can hear the fog horn not only from Mackinaw City but the one on White Shoals.  The White Shoals horn sounds like it is at the other end of the Island, maybe it is really a freighter.  But we have that floating feeling here on the Island today as we can see very little of anything.


This is the view from my window this morning.  The sun is up even if we can not see it.  The darkness in this picture is the fog.  I am sitting out in front of the boat house writing this and sharing our inlet with some rather talkative mergansers.

A freighter is headed down bound with its fog horn blaring.  Maybe that is not White Shoals I hear.  I hope it clears as the sun gets higher as we are to make a keeper exchange this morning.

The keepers at St. Helena Island Light Station.

1 comment:

  1. The fog horns remind me of some I came to know sailing off the coast of Maine when I was 15 years old.

    ReplyDelete